What’s new in h5py 2.10¶
HDF5 8-bit bitfield data can now be read either as uint8 or booleans (GH821). Pytables stores booleans as this type. For now, you must pick which type to use explicitly:
with dset.astype(numpy.uint8): # or numpy.bool arr = dset[:]
Numpy arrays of integers can now be used for fancy indexing, where previously a Python list was required (GH963).
Fancy indexing now allows an empty list or array (GH1174).
IPython can now tab-complete names in h5py groups and attributes without any special user action (GH1228). This simple completion only matches the first level of keys in a group, not subkeys. You can still call
h5py.enable_ipython_completion()for more complete results.
New functions and constants for getting and identifying special data types -
special_dtype(). For identifying string, vlen and enum dtypes,
Several examples were updated to run on Python 3 (GH1149).
The default behaviour of
h5py.Filewith no specified mode is deprecated (GH1143). It currently tries to create a file or open it for read/write access, silently falling back to read-only depending on permissions. From h5py 3.0, the default will be read-only.
Ideally, code should pass an explicit mode each time a file is opened:
The possible modes are described in Opening & creating files. If you want to suppress the deprecation warnings from code you can’t modify, you can either:
h5.get_config().default_file_mode = 'r'(or another available mode)
- or set the environment variable
H5PY_DEFAULT_READONLYto any non-empty string, to adopt the future default.
This is expected to be the last h5py release to support Python 2.7 and 3.4.
Exposing HDF5 functions¶
- Fix crash with empty variable-length data (GH1248, GH1253).
- Fixed random selection of data type when reading 64-bit floats on Windows where Python uses random dictionary order (GH1051, GH1134).
- Pickling h5py objects now fails explicitly. It previously failed on unpickling, and we can’t reliably serialise and restore handles to HDF5 objects anyway (GH531, GH1194). If you need to use these objects in other processes, you could explicitly serialise the filename and the name of the object inside the file. Or consider h5pickle, which does the same implicitly.
- Creating a dataset with external storage can no longer mutate the
externallist parameter passed in (GH1205). It also has improved error messages (GH1204).
- Certain deprecation warnings will now show the relevant line of code which uses the deprecated feature (GH1146).
- Skipped a failing test for complex floating point numbers on 32-bit x86 systems (GH1235).
- Disabled the longdouble type on the
ppc64learchitecture, as it was causing segfaults with more commonly used float types (GH1243).
- Documented that nested compound types are not currently supported (GH1236).
- Fixed attribute
createmethod to be consistent with
- The version of HDF5 can now be automatically detected on Windows (GH1123).
- Fixed autodetecting the version from libhdf5 in default locations on Windows and Mac (GH1240).
- Fail to build if it can’t detect version from libhdf5, rather than assuming 1.8.4 as a default (GH1241).
- Building h5py from source on Unix platforms now requires either
pkg-configor an explicitly specified path to HDF5 (GH1231). Previously it had a hardcoded default path, but when this was wrong, the failures were unnecessarily confusing.
- The Cython ‘language level’ is now explicitly set to 2, to prepare h5py for changing defaults in Cython (GH1171).
- Avoid using
setup_requireswhen pip calls